The Blueshift Journal
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
On a microscopic level, scientists say that nothing ever touches. Electrons repel each other; our very atoms shy away from trembling connection. Even in someone's arms, we are galaxies apart, orbiting. We are impossibly distant. Hugely empty, dangerously full, our inability to touch draws us together. We long to reach our fingers out and feel the reverberations through the empty air of a heart that is not our own. We yearn enough to make the stars rush in towards us. In emptiness, we aspire to collision, to explosion, to that patterned disorder that created us and burns in us still. Blueshift is the yearning, the telltale sign that we have never been alone.
Please read the following carefully:
- You can visit our website, theblueshiftjournal.com, and browse through our issues before submitting, so as to get familiar with what we like.
- We are an tri-annual, international journal accepting work from artists of all ages. You do not need to be from the United States to submit.
- Issues will be available online in digital and .pdf format.
- Submissions are read blindly. Do not put any identifying information on the file name, the document you upload to Submittable, or in your title. We will automatically reject pieces that do not follow this, so look over your submission carefully before you press send.
- Please send a cover letter with your submission. The cover letter should include a brief, third person biography, the title of your pieces, and anything else you would like to share with us. This letter cannot be viewed by anyone except for the Editor-in-Chief, so rest assured, your work will still be read blindly.
- We do not accept previously published work unless sanctioned by the Managing Editor. If your piece has been published anywhere other than a personal blog/website, please do not submit it.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions, but please inform us if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- Contributors will receive a contract upon acceptance. This contract states that The Blueshift Journal retains all first North American publishing rights. After publication, rights return to you, the artist, with the stipulation that future republication must cite Blueshift.
- We will not consider erotica, graphic violence, children's stories, or other inappropriate submissions.
- If four months pass and you do not receive word from us, please email us.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, and we'll get back to you promptly.